Can’t seem to find the solution to that algebraic equation? What about that essay? The paragraphs just don’t seem to hang together. It’s near midnight and definitely too late to call or email Mr. Powell or Ms. Swaby or Mr. Mendez and expect an answer. But your papers are due tomorrow!!! Where is the help when you need it? Don’t panic.
There’s Smarthinking. Through Smarthinking you’ll get expert advice from professional, qualified tutors whenever you need it. It’s available 24/7. You can also get feedback on an assignment or an essay draft, or get help with tackling those not-so-easy mathematical questions. In addition, you will be able to access a number of free tutorials on difficult topics.
“I usually have to ask my colleagues or friends to read over my work but this time I relied on Smarthinking,” says Westmoreland student Antoinette Daley-Mullings who used Smarthinking’s Essay Centre to help her with her Ethics assignments in fall 2015. “I’ve registered for another online course for spring 2016 and will definitely be using Smarthinking.”
Meanwhile, Business Administration student, Dawayne Smith from St. Catherine said, “I was having problems with matrices. The Smarthinking tutor was very helpful. And now that I hear that I can ask for more time, I will be doing so.”
Mark Dennis, who hails from Manchester and is pursuing his bachelor’s of science in Information Technology online also had high praises for Smarthinking, “It’s a great idea and a great initiative of UCC Online. I used the tutorial services for my College Algebra and Programming Techniques courses. I loved it.”
The tutorial service was introduced in fall 2015 to UCC Online students. Each student has 180 minutes of additional academic support each semester but if you need more time, you’ll simply send an email to your coordinator to ask for more. Research has shown that students who use Smarthinking are on average twice as likely to pass and twice as likely to achieve Distinction or High Distinction results as those who don't use the service.
During fall 2015, the Essay Centre recorded the highest usage by students. Students also relied heavily on Smarthinking for help with reviewing their grammar and for help with macro-economic principles.
Online tutors from Smarthinking are available for the following subjects/courses:
- Math (Basic through to Calculus ll)
- Accounting (introductory through to Advanced)
- Micro-economics and Macro-economics
- Microsoft Office
- Reading Comprehension
- Writing and Grammar (includes Online Writing Lab for detailed, personalized critiques of any written assignments as well as live tutors to assist with pre-writing techniques, research strategies, documentation, grammar and mechanics).
How to access Smarthinking:
To access, Smarthinking, simply log into UCC Online at http://courses.ucc.edu.jm and enter a course for which you are registered.
Follow these steps to use Smarthinking:
1. Look for the Smarthinking URL on your course page just below your course description. The Smarthinking URL can also be found in your course navigation menu on the right.
2. When Smarthinking loads in a new window, be sure to enable pop ups to allow the service to load properly.
3. Once loaded you may begin browsing the Smarthinking portal for tutorial assistance.
You may contact your online coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions about Smarthinking.